Best Moisturizers for Natural Hair
Make your curly locks "shine bright like a diamond"
BHM Edit Staff | 1/6/2014, 10:57 a.m.
Tired of frizzy flyaways and dull, dry locks? We feel you! Our hair can be dry and often doesn’t absorb moisturizers the way other hair does. This makes it susceptible to breakage, fraying and split ends. That’s why it’s important to moisturize regularly (read: daily).
You may have been told that washing your hair too frequently will dry it, but that is incorrect. In your battle to maintain healthy, moisturized hair, water is your best friend. Conditioner will also return moisture to your hair, so do it regularly. Section your hair into fourths, apply about a tablespoon to each section, twist your hair and cover it with a shower cap. Cover that with a towel, let it sink in for an hour and style as usual. Do not rinse out the conditioner. Oils coat your moisturized hair with a protective shield.
Try these oils to seal the smooth and silky into your tresses:
- In addition to protecting your hair, shea butter also offers some healing properties, helping to strengthen hair damaged by daily wear and tear or the elements.
- Coconut oil strengthens hair, restores shine, prevents damage, fights dandruff and promotes growth. It smells great, too.
- Rosemary oil strengthens hair and stimulates follicles, which promotes growth. Some research suggests it may also delay the development of gray hair.
- Rich in amino acids, avocado oil is good for your hair and your scalp. It improves hair strength and boosts shine.
- Olive oil contains antioxidants that prevent hair loss and dandruff, while improving strength and promoting shine.
- Argan oil, a newcomer in the oil arsenal, nourishes hair and gives hair unparalleled shine. Pure argan oil is best.
Remember not all ingredients work for all hair types. Keep in mind your hair’s porosity and thickness when choosing products. And discuss your options with your stylist.
Not into mixing up your own oils? Try one of these:
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Curls Whipped Cream
Jane Carter Solution Nourish & Shine
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream