Love your natural hair with these leave-in conditioners
Once (as recently as five years ago) there was a product desert for women seeking ways to maintain their natural hair. Fortunately, that has changed. Now the options for what to use on our kinky curls can be overwhelming, and it’s turned us (OK, me) into product junkies.
Leave-in conditioners are a must, and we keep several stocked on the shelves of our hair care pantry. You’ll need to play around to see which ones your hair likes best—and you may require different product for different seasons—but check the now-crowded field armed with these eight recommendations (listed in no particular order):
- As I Am Leave-In Conditioner creates a strong, smooth, tangle-free foundation for styling, while retaining moisture and shine. It helps make hair more manageable by smoothing the cuticle layer. Some women even use As I Am to twist their hair at night for second-, third- or fourth-day twists.
- Kinky Curly Knot Today, used immediately after you step out of the shower, smells great while moisturizing your locks. Made from mango extracts to marshmallow root, it is free of parabens, silicones, sulfates and cruelty.
- Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Leave-In Conditioner is a triple threat: It moisturizes, detangles and even works well as a styler. Achieve soft, defined, full twist-outs and other styles for less than $10 a jar.
- Giovanni Direct Leave in Conditioner is a silky-smooth, liquid-heaven leave-in. A little goes a long way, so apply just a touch to freshly washed and conditioned hair for all-day moisture.
- Koils by Nature Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-In is a light product made from horsetail, burdock root and nettle. The sweet-smelling conditioner improves the quality of your hair from root to tip without leaving residue, and it contains no parabens, petrolatums, silicones or synthetic colors.
- Oyin Handmade Hair Dew is a creamy, thick leave-in conditioner that leaves hair soft and moisturized without feeling sticky. And the scent is absolutely divine.
- My Honey Child Aloe Vera Leave-In helps restore moisture and repairs damaged and stressed hair. Your hair will feel trés soft, without sticky residue and white flakes. It also helps alleviate itchy, dry scalp. Simply comb the product through your hair and it works its magic.
- An oldie-but-goodie, Infusium 23 Leave-in Treatment is made with emulsifiers and moisturizers that has kept it on our leave-in go-to list for years. If your natural hair is fine, you can’t go wrong with a splash of Infusium 23 in your regular regimen.