Food Network star Kardea Brown puts a low country twist on a classic dish – NACHOS! Nachos are a fantastic dish because you’re working with a blank canvas. Therefore, Kardea Brown’s recipe is perfect for nacho lovers everywhere. Her nachos have shrimp, crab, and plenty of cheesy goodness! For those new to this type of cuisine, low country cuisine is traditionally associated with South Carolina low country and the Georgia coast. While it shares similarities with traditional southern cooking, its geography, economics, etc., pushed its culinary identity in a different direction.
In addition, it is an excellent addition to your Cinco de Mayo dishes, and everyone will not be able to get enough!
Kardea Brown’s Low Country Nachos Recipe
Here is everything you need to make the BEST low country nachos! And we have listed great ingredient alternatives for our lactose intolerant readers or anyone who wants to cut down on the calories.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (vegan Ghee)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (add a cornstarch or arrowroot slurry to omit flour)
- 1 cup whole milk, plus more if needed (vegan milk – almond, coconut, etc.)
- 1 1/2 pounds white American cheese, diced (Daiya Cutting Board Cheddar Style Shreds)
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, diced (Daiya Spicy Monterey Jack Style Vegan Cheese Shreds)
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, flesh minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained and picked over to remove any shell or cartilage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 13-ounce bag tortilla chips (blue corn tortilla chips)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
You can check out all the steps in her recipe here. Are you going to give these nachos a try? Comment below!