Pretty natural nails don’t always mean they’re strong. Your nails may not feel or look brittle, but it doesn’t mean you should ignore them completely. The best way to ensure your nails are strong is by making the necessary lifestyle changes and habits to strengthen them.
Here are five ways that experts would agree will strengthen your natural nails.
Top 5 Ways To Strengthen Natural Nails
- Biotin: Biotin (also known as vitamin H and vitamin B-7) is one of the B vitamins. It’s water-soluble; the body doesn’t store it, so you must ensure that you consume it daily. Biotin can help strengthen hair and nails and also helps the body’s nervous system to function correctly. Commonly found in foods like sardines, cooked eggs, and legumes.
- Use Cuticle Oil Daily: Cuticle care is KEY! The reason is that dehydrated cuticles can lead to damaged nailbeds or an infection. Also, they can be pretty painful if left untreated. Therefore, it is advised we add cuticle oil to our daily routine. Many options include fatty acids and vitamins that nourish the nails and fill in any micro-cracks in the skin. Some of the best cuticle oils are olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, etc.
- Monthly Nail Maintenance: Regular nail maintenance will keep our tips strong. Since our nails tell us a lot about our health, regular check-ups (or ins) are necessary. If you wear polish or acrylic, always check your nails when the product is removed. Watch out for nail color and strength before applying more products. Proper nail hygiene keeps your nails strong. Pushing cuticles back and trimming them, filing chipped free edges, etc.
- Stay Hydrated: Consuming enough water is essential for everyday health. Without adequate moisture, nails can become brittle and break and peel easily. Drinking enough water helps them to retain moisture and stay strong.
- Use Nail Strengtheners: There’s nothing wrong with additional help strengthening our natural nails. Remember always to pick ones that don’t have formaldehyde (which is what traditional nail strengtheners are made of, as it makes polish dry stiff). There are plenty of natural-based strengtheners that include plant-based ingredients like olive oil, tea tree, etc.
Just like our skincare routine, we must take our nail routine seriously. Having an excellent routine will provide you with healthy, strong nails. What do you do to keep your nails strong? Comment below!