Our darker skin tone is a superpower! Thanks to our melanin, we have some protection against the sun’s rays, like a built-in sunblock. But that doesn’t mean we don’t also need the protection of sunscreen. Sunscreen provides extra defense against the sun, but not just any will do.
Is it strong enough? Will it make us look like Casper? Is it budget-friendly? These are all questions you must ask yourself before investing in good sunscreen. We’ve rounded up some of the best sunscreens for darker skin tones. Our selections cover different price points, are at least SPF 30, and are suitable for different skin types.
Top 9 Sunscreen Selections for Darker Skin Tones
- Best facial sunscreen – Black Girl Sunscreen ($$)
- Best acne-friendly sunscreen – EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 Facial Sunscreen ($$$)
- Best sunscreen for sensitive skin – Alba Botanica Sensitive Sheer Shield Sunscreen ($$)
- Best powder sunscreen – Colorescience Sun Forgettable Total Protection Brush-On Shield ($$$)
- Best tinted sunscreen – CeraVe Hydrating Mineral Sunscreen ($$)
- Best mineral sunscreen – Farmacy Green Defense Daily Mineral Sunscreen ($$$)
- Best lightweight sunscreen – La Roche-Posay Anthelios Light Fluid Sunscreen ($$)
- Best body sunscreen – Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protector Lotion ($$ – $$$)
- Best sunscreen for dark skin with hyperpigmentation – Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen ($$$)
See, we told you that we have you covered! There are so many other things to worry about this summer, but our sunscreen is not one.
What’s your favorite sunscreen to use? Comment below!